2014-2015 ATC Catalog
Search for...

Enrollment Services


ATC Admission Policies Aiken Technical College has an "open-door" admission policy, which means any adult citizen who can benefit from available learning opportunities can enroll. Students are placed into specific courses and programs of study based on their potential for success regarding the expected standards of performance.

All applicants must possess a high school diploma or its equivalent or they must be at least 18 years old to be considered for admission into curriculum programs and courses offered by the college. Eligible high school students who desire to enroll in one or more college courses concurrently with their high school classes may do so with the written authorization of their parent(s) or guardian(s) and high school guidance counselor.

Non-graduates and graduates of South Carolina high schools who have received a "certificate," not a diploma, are strongly urged to return to their high school district to complete the diploma or GED. However, potential students who meet minimum scores on the college’s placement exam will be admitted to the college.

All applicants are required to participate in placement testing (assessment) prior to acceptance. Applicants may seek exemption to this policy according to the criteria stated in college procedures on placement testing. Specific requirements have been established for individual program entrance.

Applicants who require additional preparation for college-level work will be required to enroll in developmental courses to develop the necessary basic skills in English, reading and mathematics or take classes through the Adult Education Office of the Aiken County School System.

The college reserves the right to refuse readmission to any applicant who has an unacceptable academic or conduct record. Individuals with financial obligations to the college must resolve these obligations before they will be allowed to register for classes.

Admissions Process

All applicants must:
  1. Complete and submit an application for admission online. An application fee of $10 will be required
  2. Complete the placement test, or submit acceptable SAT or ACT scores. The placement test may be waived for applicants possessing acceptable college work from regionally accredited colleges or universities. All applicants will be required to take the math portion of the placement test regardless of their math scores on the SAT or ACT.
  3. Submit an official high school transcript. In order to ensure the validity of a student’s high school completion, official transcripts must be received in a sealed (closed) envelope and must note the graduation date. If it does not meet both of these criteria, then the transcript will be considered unofficial and the college will be unable to validate your graduation.

Transcripts are used for financial aid, academic advisement and other purposes. The transcript is required for admission purposes if the applicant is applying for a LIFE scholarship, entry into Nursing or a Health Sciences program or wishes to use the high school transcript to provide evidence of SAT or ACT scores (taken within the last four years) to satisfy placement requirements. Applicants possessing a high school equivalency certificate (GED) or a diploma from an adult basic education program are asked to provide the Enrollment Services Center with documentation of successful GED completion.

Transcripts should be sent to:
Aiken Technical College
Enrollment Services Center
P.O. Drawer 696
Aiken, S.C. 29802

Placement Tests

ATC Placement Tests Applicants are placed into specific courses based on successful previous college course work, SAT scores, ACT scores or the Aiken Technical College Placement Test (COMPASS). Other admission tests and criteria may be required for admission to specific academic programs.

These special requirements are outlined in the Programs Of Study section of the catalog.

Applicants for curriculum programs must be assessed for course placement unless exempted.

Placement retests are $25 each.

Exemptions may be granted if an applicant meets one or more of the following criteria:
  1. The applicant has earned a grade of "C" or better in appropriate college-level English and college-level algebra courses taken at a regionally accredited college or university.
  2. The applicant has earned advanced placement credit for English and/or mathematics on CLEP and/or AP exams recognized by the college.
  3. The applicant has taken the Aiken Technical College Placement Test (COMPASS).
  4. The applicant has earned an Associate’s degree or higher from a regionally accredited college or university (must include college-level English and algebra).
  5. The applicant is not pursuing an academic award and desires to be admitted to take a specific course or courses as a Career Development student. The applicant must meet course prerequisites or have acquired an Associate’s degree or higher from a regionally accredited college or university.

Students taking the placement test in the Test Center must present their Social Security number and a valid government issued picture ID.

Students with documented disabilities may request special placement testing accommodations to ensure optimum performance by contacting Student Development.

Enrollment Services Center
100/200 Building
Room 152
(803) 508-7263

Admission Requirements

Admission to Associate in Applied Science, Associate in Arts and Associate in Science programs of the college requires completion of identified prerequisite courses. Therefore, students who are enrolling in college for the first time will automatically be placed in the certificate program that corresponds to the student’s program of interest. Students will meet with their advisors and complete a “Change of Program” form when they have completed the prerequisite courses for their AAS, AA or AS degree program. This system ensures that students have the necessary skills to be successful in their respective programs.

Individual programs may have additional admissions requirements. Information about such requirements may be obtained from a program advisor.

Registration for Classes

Academic registration is designed to establish student/advisor rapport in a relaxed environment and to allow the student to complete the registration process in a non-stressful time frame.

A continuing student must make an appointment with his/her academic advisor to discuss academic progress and to select courses.

Registration for the next semester opens several months in advance. Students should watch for an announcement through the MyATC portal about registration dates.

Resident Status

A legal resident of South Carolina is one who has his/her legal domicile in the state for a period of 12 months prior to the first day of the semester.

It is important that each applicant for admission and each enrolled student understand the regulations governing resident status and know his/her resident status for tuition and fee payment. A person incorrectly classified as a resident is subject to reclassification and payment of all non-resident fees.

If an incorrect classification results from false or concealed facts, a student may be charged tuition and fees retroactively at the out-of-state rate. Inquiries regarding residency status should be directed to the Enrollment Services Center.

SC Illegal Immigration Act

Under South Carolina state law, the programs and services of Aiken Technical College are available to United States citizens and eligible, documented non-citizens. Each semester new students will be verified as eligible to participate in college programs and services. Additional information may be requested from students as a part of this process.

Special Admission Categories

ATC Special Admission Students interested in any of ATC’s Health Sciences Programs resulting in degrees, diplomas or certificates must go through a separate Health application process. Health information packets are available on our website.

Many of these programs are highly selective. Students must meet additional requirements in order to qualify for admission.

Students wishing to go into Nursing and Allied Health must meet with an enrollment advisor. When applying to programs with selective admissions, students must provide an additional student copy of any and all college transcripts with their selective admissions application.

Note: Student copies must be requested during the current semester in which they are applying for a selective admissions program. Applications for selective programs are updated annually. Students should review current applications to see additional requirements.

Career Development Students

An applicant who is not pursuing an academic credential and desires to be admitted to take specific courses as a Career Development student must meet course prerequisites or have acquired an associate degree or higher from a regionally accredited college or university. If a student chooses to change to a regular program of study at a later date, placement tests may be necessary. Undecided students not selecting a specific program of study may be placed in Career Development status.

A Career Development student is not eligible for federal financial aid programs (e.g. Pell Grants), S.C. state financial aid programs, scholarships or veterans benefits.

High School/Home School Students

Students may want to start college while still attending high school or home school; a great way to get an early start on a college education.

To apply for dual and concurrent enrollment opportunities through Aiken Early College, please access the Aiken Early College application in PDF format here.

International Students

In addition to meeting regular college and program admission requirements, international applicants must also meet the following requirements if an Immigration and Naturalization Form I-20 is required:

  1. Complete Admissions Application
  2. Complete International Student Fact Sheet
  3. Current Passport and any Visa (if applied for earlier)
  4. Submit required documents:
  1. Academic Transcript and TOEFL Scores Requirements (Documents)
    • Academic transcripts need to be translated in English
    • High school transcripts indicating four years of secondary education (9-12)
    • College transcripts (must be in English)
    • Submit an official TOEFL Score- Minimum of 500 (paper version, 190 (computerized version) or 61 (internet based version)
    • ACT or SAT scores
  2. Financial Requirements (Documents)
    • Submit a financial statement(s) minimum balance of at least one years’ cost of attendance $19,244.00.
    • “Affidavit of Support”—(BCIS form I-134)
    • Submit a certified check, for tuition for the first academic year.
  3. Health Insurance Requirements (Documents)
    • Proof of health insurance that insures coverage in the United States
    • Immunization record

Additional information about international admissions can be obtained from the Enrollment Services Center. An international student should begin the admission process at least six months prior to the semester for which he/she seeks admission.

Readmission/Readmitted Students

Former Aiken Technical College students who were not enrolled for the preceding two semesters (excluding the summer semester) and who wish to re-enroll must complete a new application for admission prior to re-entry. Students who have attended another college during the interim should ask that college to send an official transcript to the Enrollment Services Center.

Applicants for readmission must meet current admissions criteria (including testing and placement requirements) and are subject to any new graduation requirements in effect at the time of readmission.

Senior Citizens

Applicants who are at least 60 years of age and legal residents of South Carolina may enroll in classes on a space-available basis without paying tuition. These applicants must meet regular admission requirements, submit an application and pay all applicable fees other than tuition. Senior citizens who are employed full-time are not eligible for a tuition waiver.

Transfer Students

ATC Applicants who have attended a regionally accredited college or university should request that all colleges previously attended send official transcripts directly to the ATC Enrollment Services Center.

These transcripts will be reviewed to determine whether the placement testing requirement will be waived and if transfer credit may be awarded. Unofficial transcripts are used only for admission purposes and are not evaluated. Transfer students are urged not to enroll in any course(s) for which transfer credit is being sought until the transfer question is resolved.

If a current catalog from the college where previous courses were taken is not on file, the student is responsible for providing a catalog with official descriptions of courses to accompany the transfer request.

Transfer Credit

The Enrollment Services Center evaluates "official" college transcripts for transfer of credit for applicants and students. Official transcripts are sent directly from one college to another, presented in a sealed envelope from the previous college or sent via electronic data exchange. If the transcript is opened it will not be considered official.

Students wishing to have courses evaluated that are not listed on our transfer guide should request an official transcript sent to the ATC Enrollment Services Center and send copies of course descriptions for courses they wish to have considered from the host college’s catalog. The Enrollment Services Center will post the approved course(s) to the student’s transcript and notify the student which courses transfer.

The following criteria are used to determine acceptability of prior college course work for advanced standing:

  1. The final grade for the course(s) must be "C" or better.
  2. The course(s) must have been taken at a regionally accredited institution; if from a nonregionally accredited foreign post- secondary institution, the courses must have been recommended by the NACES- member external evaluation service.
  3. The course(s) must be applicable to the AA/AS or technical program in which the student plans to enroll in order for the course to be considered for graduation.
  4. The course(s) must be college-level; no course that is remedial/developmental in nature will be accepted.
  5. A major consideration in the evaluation of a course for transfer of credit is the equivalency of that course to an ATC course.
  6. Appeals for transfer of credit should be made, in writing, to the Registrar or designee. Documentation such as course description and course syllabus will need to accompany the appeal.

Transfer Credit Limitation

A student must take and earn a minimum of 25 percent of credits required for graduation from a degree, diploma or certificate program of study at ATC.

Regardless of the comparability of courses and the number of courses successfully completed at other accredited post-secondary institutions, a student must successfully complete a minimum of three higher-level courses (as determined by the academic advisor) representative of the major program or discipline at ATC. The total of both courses accepted for transfer and courses exempted cannot exceed 75 percent of the credits required for completion of a program.

LIFE GPA: Transfer students are required to provide official high school and college transcripts for each institution attended. All college coursework attempted at another institution or while in high school will be calculated into the LIFE GPA formula. Students who wish to be considered for the LIFE Scholarship must request a LIFE GPA calculation by the Enrollment Services Center and complete a LIFE Scholarship Assessment Form.

Records Services

ATC Transcripts

ATC provides all official transcripts through an electronic transcript request system. The electronic transcript system allows students to electronically send their transcripts to postsecondary institutions, employers, military, and other entities at their request instantly, securely, and fully compliant with FERPA standards. Parchment, the transcript provider, will charge a standard fee of $2.75 per request. Students can also have their official transcript mailed for additional fees and shipping. Parchment will accept payment only by debit or credit card.

Confidentiality of Records
Enrollment Services is authorized to release student information. This office adheres to the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) regarding release of student information. A student who does not want directory information released should contact Enrollment Services and complete a form for non-release of directory information. Upon proof of dependency, parents or guardians may receive confidential information regarding their dependent student (see Release of Student Information here).

Enrollment Certification
Enrollment Services certifies a student’s enrollment for previous loans (through the National Student Loan Clearinghouse), parental insurance coverage, Department of Social Services requirements, employment and other purposes. Verification letters/forms will be processed/completed one week after the add/drop period. Letters/forms will be available at the front desk in Enrollment Services for student pick up. Verification letters/forms left for one month will be destroyed.

A student who plans to graduate should obtain a graduation application from Enrollment Services. The form must be completed by the student’s academic advisor, signed by the student and submitted to Enrollment Services according to the specified due dates.

Name/Address Changes
Enrollment Services makes an official change to the addresses on a student’s records only through a student’s written request (documentation should be presented) to Enrollment Services or documentation from the U.S. Postal Service. Address accuracy is essential for the student to receive information. This office also handles requests for residency changes for tuition purposes.

Verification of Grades/GPA
A student who needs to verify grades/GPA for automobile insurance, company reimbursement of tuition, or other purposes should contact Enrollment Services.

Guest Students

A student already accepted or enrolled at another college may enroll as a transient/guest student at ATC in order to transfer credits back to the primary college.

The guest student should be advised by the primary college concerning recommended courses to be taken at ATC.

An applicant for transient/guest student status must submit an ATC Guest Student application. It is the responsibility of the guest student to request that an ATC transcript be sent to the primary college after completion of ATC courses.

Students will be registered by the Enrollment Services Center and will receive information via mail regarding access to their student email account and WebAdvisor. They also are not eligible for financial aid.

©2015 Aiken Technical College, 2276 J. Davis Highway, Graniteville SC 29829

ATC welcomes Veterans Technical/Community College News