Types of Financial Aid

Other Sources of Aid

The Americorps program provides full-time educational awards in return for community service work. You can work before, during or after your post-secondary education, and you can use the funds either to pay current educational expenses or to repay federal student loans. For more information on this program, call 1-800-942-2677or visit their web site at http://www.cns.gov/americorps.html
Federal Income Tax Credits
Dollar-for-dollar reductions in tax liability are now available for higher education expenses. The HOPE Credit, a tax credit worth up to $1,650 per student, is available to first- and second-year students enrolled at least half time. The Lifetime Learning Credit is a tax credit up to $2,000, for virtually any post-secondary education and training, including subsequent undergraduate years, graduate and professional schools. This credit is available even to those enrolled for less than half-time study.
Free Tuition for Children of Certain War Veterans
A child of a wartime veteran may be eligible to receive this benefit. Eligibility and application information may be obtained from any County Veterans Affairs Office or by writing the Governor’s Office, Division of Veterans Affairs, 1205 Pendleton Street, Columbia, SC 29201. Calls are accepted at (803) 255-4317 or (803) 255-4256.
Vocational Rehabilitation
A student with a documented disability or impairment may be eligible for assistance through the county vocational rehabilitation office. The student must apply for federal financial aid before being considered for this assistance. Residents of South Carolina may call (803) 641-7630 or visit their website at http://www.scvrd.net for more information. Residents of Georgia may call (706) 650-5638 or visit their website at http://www.vocrehabga.org.
Workforce Investment Act (WIA)/Job Training Authority (JTA)
This program provides job seekers a wide array of career planning, education and employment services. Assistance may include the cost of training for an approved program and some support services, to facilitate the customer¹s attainment of meaningful employment consistent with their interest and abilities. Georgia residents may call the Richmond-Burke Job Training Authority at (706) 721-1858 ext 1004.
Other Sources of Assistance
Your public library is an excellent source of information on state and private sources of aid.
Many companies, as well as labor unions, have programs to help pay the cost of post-secondary education for employees, members or their children.
Foundations, religious organizations, town or city clubs, and fraternities or sororities often offer assistance. Check with community organizations and civic groups such as the American Legion, 4-H Club, Kiwanis, Jaycees, YMCA and your local Chamber of Commerce.
Organizations connected with your field of interest (such as the American Medical Association or the American Bar Association) should not be overlooked as a source of possible aid.
The U.S. Armed Forces also offer financial aid opportunities, such as the Reserve Officers Training Corps (ROTC) Program. For more information on the ROTC Program, call 1-800-USA-ROTC.
Members of the South Carolina National Guard may be entitled to a 50 percent tuition waiver. Members should contact their commanding officer(s) for details.
fb tw

©2016 Aiken Technical College, 2276 J. Davis Highway, Graniteville SC 29829
(803) 593-9231

ATC welcomes Veterans Technical/Community College News