ATC Catalog

Aiken Technical College

Online Catalog

Search for...

Enrollment Services


ATC Admission Policies Aiken Technical College has an "open-door" admission policy, which means any adult citizen who can benefit from available learning opportunities can enroll. Students are placed into specific courses and programs of study based on their potential for success regarding the expected standards of performance.

All applicants must possess a high school diploma or its equivalent or they must be at least 18 years old to be considered for admission into curriculum programs and courses offered by the college. Eligible high school students who desire to enroll in one or more college courses concurrently with their high school classes may do so with the written authorization of their parent(s) or guardian(s) and high school guidance counselor.

Non-graduates and graduates of South Carolina high schools who have received a "certificate," not a diploma, are strongly urged to return to their high school district to complete the diploma or GED. However, potential students who meet minimum scores on the college’s placement exam will be admitted to the college.

All applicants are required to participate in placement testing (assessment) prior to acceptance. Applicants may seek exemption to this policy according to the criteria stated in college procedures on placement testing. Specific requirements have been established for individual program entrance.

Applicants who require additional preparation for college-level work will be required to enroll in in transitional education courses to develop the necessary basic skills in English, reading and mathematics or take classes through the Adult Education Office of the Aiken County School System.

The college reserves the right to refuse readmission to any applicant who has an unacceptable academic or conduct record. Individuals with financial obligations to the college must resolve these obligations before they will be allowed to register for classes.

Admissions Process

All applicants must:
  1. Complete and submit an application for admission online.
  2. Complete the placement test, or submit acceptable SAT or ACT scores. The placement test may be waived for applicants possessing acceptable college work from regionally accredited colleges or universities. All applicants will be required to take the math portion of the placement test regardless of their math scores on the SAT. To exempt placement testing in math for ACT a student must have a math sub-score of at least 22.
  3. Submit an official high school transcript. In order to ensure the validity of a student’s high school completion, official transcripts must be received in a sealed (closed) envelope and must note the graduation date. If it does not meet both of these criteria, then the transcript will be considered unofficial and the college will be unable to validate your graduation.

Transcripts are used for financial aid, academic advisement and other purposes. The transcript is required for admission purposes if the applicant is applying for a LIFE scholarship, entry into Nursing or a Health Sciences program or wishes to use the high school transcript to provide evidence of SAT or ACT scores (taken within the last four years) to satisfy placement requirements. Applicants possessing a high school equivalency certificate (GED) or a diploma from an adult basic education program are asked to provide the Enrollment Services Center with documentation of successful GED completion.

Transcripts should be sent to:
Aiken Technical College
Enrollment Services Center
P.O. Drawer 696
Aiken, S.C. 29802

Placement Tests

ATC Placement Tests Applicants are placed into specific courses based on successful previous college course work, SAT scores, ACT scores or the Aiken Technical College Placement Test (Accuplacer). Other admission tests and criteria may be required for admission to specific academic programs.

These special requirements are outlined in the Programs Of Study section of the catalog.

Applicants for curriculum programs must be assessed for course placement unless exempted.

Placement retests are $25 each. Students wishing to retest should visit the Enrollment Services Center for information about test registration and payment.

Exemptions may be granted if an applicant meets one or more of the following criteria:
  1. The applicant has earned a grade of "C" or better in appropriate college-level English and college-level algebra courses taken at a regionally accredited college or university.
  2. The applicant has earned advanced placement credit for English and/or mathematics on CLEP and/or AP exams recognized by the college.
  3. The applicant has taken the Aiken Technical College Placement Test (Accuplacer).
  4. The applicant has earned an Associate’s degree or higher from a regionally accredited college or university (must include college-level English and algebra).
  5. The applicant is not pursuing an academic award and desires to be admitted to take a specific course or courses as a Career Development student. The applicant must meet course prerequisites or have acquired an Associate’s degree or higher from a regionally accredited college or university.

Students taking the placement test in the Test Center must present their Social Security number and a valid photo ID issued by Aiken Technical College or city/state/federal government (such as driver's license or passport) on which both your first and last names and photo appear.

Students with documented disabilities may request special placement testing accommodations to ensure optimum performance by contacting Director of Counseling Services.

Enrollment Services Center
100/200 Building
Room 152
(803) 508-7263

Admission Requirements

Admission to Associate in Applied Science, Associate in Arts and Associate in Science programs of the college requires completion of identified prerequisite courses. Therefore, students who are enrolling in college for the first time will automatically be placed in the certificate program that corresponds to the student’s program of interest. Students will meet with their advisors and complete a “Program Change” form when they have completed the prerequisite courses for their AAS, AA or AS degree program. This system ensures that students have the necessary skills to be successful in their respective programs.

Individual programs may have additional admissions requirements. Information about such requirements may be obtained from a program advisor.

Registration for Classes

Prior to registration a student must meet with his/her advisor to discuss academic progress, select courses, and obtain approval for registration.

Registration for the next semester opens several months in advance. Students should check the MyATC portal and ATC e-mail for announcements regarding advising, registration, and other important dates.

Resident Status

A legal resident of South Carolina is one who has his/her legal domicile in the state for a period of 12 months prior to the first day of the semester.

It is important that each applicant for admission and each enrolled student understand the regulations governing resident status and know his/her resident status for tuition and fee payment. A person incorrectly classified as a resident is subject to reclassification and payment of all non-resident fees.

If an incorrect classification results from false or concealed facts, a student may be charged tuition and fees retroactively at the out-of-state rate. Inquiries regarding residency status should be directed to the Enrollment Services Center.

Students may appeal their residency status by completing a Residency Reclassification Application and submitting all of the required documentation. The application and documentation must be submitted by the end of the add/drop period in which the reclassification is sought.

SC Illegal Immigration Act

Under South Carolina state law, the programs and services of Aiken Technical College are available to United States citizens and eligible, documented non-citizens. Each semester new students will be verified as eligible to participate in college programs and services. Additional information may be requested from students as a part of this process.

Special Admission Categories

ATC Special Admission Students interested in any of ATC’s Health Sciences programs resulting in degrees, diplomas or certificates must go through a separate application process. Health Sciences program application are available on our website.

Many of these programs are highly selective. Students must meet additional requirements in order to qualify for admission.

Students wishing to go into Nursing and Allied Health must meet with an enrollment advisor. When applying to programs with selective admissions, students must provide an additional student copy of any and all college transcripts with their selective admissions application.

Note: Student copies must be requested during the current semester in which they are applying for a selective admissions program. Applications for selective programs are updated annually. Students should review current applications to see additional requirements.

Career Development Students

An applicant who is not pursuing an academic credential and desires to be admitted to take specific courses as a Career Development student must meet course prerequisites or have acquired an associate degree or higher from a regionally accredited college or university. If a student chooses to change to a regular program of study at a later date, placement tests may be necessary. Undecided students not selecting a specific program of study may be placed in Career Development status.

A Career Development student is not eligible for federal financial aid programs (e.g. Pell Grants), S.C. state financial aid programs, scholarships or veterans benefits.

High School/Home School Students

Students may want to start college while still attending high school or home school; a great way to get an early start on a college education.

To apply for dual and concurrent enrollment opportunities through Early Start: Dual Enrollment Program, please access the dual enrollment application in PDF format here.

International Students

In addition to meeting regular college and program admission requirements, international applicants must also meet the following requirements if an Immigration and Naturalization Form I-20 is required:

  1. Complete Admissions Application
  2. Complete International Student Fact Sheet
  3. Current Passport and any Visa (if applied for earlier)
  4. Submit required documents:
  1. Academic Transcript and TOEFL Scores Requirements (Documents)
    • Academic transcripts need to be translated in English
    • High school transcripts indicating four years of secondary education (9-12)
    • College transcripts (must be in English)
    • Submit an official TOEFL Score- Minimum of 500 (paper version), 190 (computerized version) or 61 (internet based version)
    • ACT or SAT scores
  2. Financial Requirements (Documents)
    • Submit a financial statement(s) minimum balance of at least one years’ cost of attendance $19,244.00.
    • “Affidavit of Support”—(BCIS form I-134)
    • Submit a certified check for tuition for the first academic year.
  3. Health Insurance Requirements (Documents)
    • Proof of health insurance that insures coverage in the United States
    • Immunization record

Additional information about international admissions can be obtained from the Enrollment Services Center. An international student should begin the admission process at least six months prior to the semester for which he/she seeks admission.

Readmission/Readmitted Students

Former Aiken Technical College students who were not enrolled for the preceding two semesters (excluding the summer semester) and who wish to re-enroll must complete a new application for admission prior to re-entry. Students who have attended another college during the interim should ask that college to send an official transcript to the Enrollment Services Center.

Applicants for readmission must meet current admissions criteria (including testing and placement requirements) and are subject to any new graduation requirements in effect at the time of readmission.

Senior Citizens

Applicants who are at least 60 years of age and legal residents of South Carolina may enroll in classes on a space-available basis without paying tuition. These applicants must meet regular admission requirements, submit an application and pay all applicable fees other than tuition. Senior citizens who are employed full-time are not eligible for a tuition waiver. For more information about the enrollment process for Senior Citizens, contact the Enrollment Services Center.

Transfer Students

ATC Applicants who have attended a regionally accredited college or university should request that all colleges previously attended send official transcripts directly to the ATC Enrollment Services Center.

These transcripts will be reviewed to determine whether the placement testing requirement will be waived and if transfer credit may be awarded. Unofficial transcripts are used only for admission purposes and are not evaluated. Transfer students are urged not to enroll in any course(s) for which transfer credit is being sought until the transfer question is resolved.

If a current catalog from the college where previous courses were taken is not on file, the student is responsible for providing a catalog with official descriptions of courses to accompany the transfer request.

Transfer Credit

The Enrollment Services Center evaluates "official" college transcripts for transfer of credit for applicants and students. Official transcripts are sent directly from one college to another, presented in a sealed envelope from the previous college or sent via electronic data exchange. If the transcript is opened or is sent electronically to the student, it will not be considered official.

Students wishing to have courses evaluated that are not listed on our transfer guide should request an official transcript sent to the ATC Enrollment Services Center and send copies of course descriptions for courses they wish to have considered from the host college’s catalog. The Enrollment Services Center will post the approved course(s) to the student’s transcript and notify the student which courses transfer.

The following criteria are used to determine acceptability of prior college course work for advanced standing:

  1. The final grade for the course(s) must be "C" or better.
  2. The course(s) must have been taken at a regionally accredited institution; if from a nonregionally accredited foreign post- secondary institution, the courses must have been recommended by the NACES- member external evaluation service.
  3. The course(s) must be applicable to the AA/AS or technical program in which the student plans to enroll in order for the course to be considered for graduation.
  4. The course(s) must be college-level; no course that is remedial/developmental/transitional in nature will be accepted.
  5. A major consideration in the evaluation of a course for transfer of credit is the equivalency of that course to an ATC course.
  6. Appeals for transfer of credit should be made, in writing, to the Registrar or designee. Documentation such as course description and course syllabus will need to accompany the appeal.

Transfer Credit Limitation

A student must take and earn a minimum of 25 percent of credits required for graduation from a degree, diploma or certificate program of study at ATC.

Regardless of the comparability of courses and the number of courses successfully completed at other accredited post-secondary institutions, a student must successfully complete a minimum of three higher-level courses (as determined by the academic advisor) representative of the major program or discipline at ATC. The total of both courses accepted for transfer and courses exempted cannot exceed 75 percent of the credits required for completion of a program.

LIFE GPA: Transfer students are required to provide official high school and college transcripts for each institution attended. All college coursework attempted at another institution or while in high school will be calculated into the LIFE GPA formula. Students who wish to be considered for the LIFE Scholarship must request a LIFE GPA calculation by the Enrollment Services Center and complete a LIFE Scholarship Assessment Form.

Records Services

ATC Transcripts

A student can request their official transcript from ATC by visiting our
Request an Official Transcript page. Students will need to follow that link in order to request an official transcript from our e-transcript provider, Parchment. Please be aware that Parchment requires a minimum fee of $5.00 per transcript, with additional fees added for requests that require postage and delivery.
ATC provides all official transcripts through an electronic transcript request system. The electronic transcript system allows students to electronically send their transcripts to postsecondary institutions, employers, military, and other entities at their request instantly, securely, and fully compliant with FERPA standards. Students can also have their official transcript mailed for additional fees and shipping. Parchment will accept payment only by debit or credit card.

Any student who has an outstanding obligation (financial or other) to Aiken Technical College will not be allowed to register for an additional term. The student is responsible for clearing the obligation. All academic records will be frozen and will not be or released until all obligations are fulfilled.

Confidentiality of Records
Enrollment Services is authorized to release student information. This office adheres to the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) regarding release of student information. A student who does not want directory information released should contact Enrollment Services and complete a form for non-release of directory information. Upon proof of dependency, parents or guardians may receive confidential information regarding their dependent student.

A student who wishes to request nondisclosure of the above items may submit a written request to the Enrollment Services Center. Please download the Directory Information Non-Disclosure Form and submit the completed form to the Enrollment Services Center.

Directory Information
The College may provide directory information in accordance with the provisions of the Act without the written consent of an eligible student, unless that student requests in writing that such information not be disclosed. The items listed below are designated as directory information and may be released on any student for any purpose at the discretion of the College unless a written request for non-disclosure is on file: name, address, e-mail, telephone number, dates of attendance, major field of study, awards, honors, degree(s) conferred and previous institution(s) attended. Photographs, video recordings.

A student who wishes to request nondisclosure of the above items may submit a written request to the Enrollment Services Center. Please download the Directory Information Non-Disclosure Form and submit the completed form to the Enrollment Services Center. The College may not provide the parent of a student over eighteen years of age any information about the student’s progress without the explicit written consent of the student or a copy of IRS tax forms indicating the student is a dependent of the parent seeking such information.

Release of Student Information

The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) of 1974, as amended, describes the conditions under which information about a student can be released. It is the policy of Aiken Technical College to follow these guidelines to protect the privacy of students. The following student rights are covered by the Act and afforded to all eligible students of the College:

  1. The right to inspect and review information in the student’s educational records.
  2. The right to request amendment of the contents of the student’s educational records if believed to be inaccurate, misleading, or otherwise in violation of the student’s privacy or other rights.
  3. The right to prevent disclosure without consent of personally identifiable information from the student’s records (with certain exceptions).
  4. The right to secure a copy of the College’s policy.
  5. Parents who can establish proof of dependency by presenting a copy of their tax return to the Registrar or designee may view the records of a dependent without the written consent of said dependent.

The right to file complaints with the U.S. Department of Education concerning alleged failures by the College to comply with the provisions of the Act. Each of these rights, with any limitations or exceptions, is explained in the College’s policy statement which may be obtained from the Enrollment Services Center. A form authorizing parents or others to review student financial aid or student services files is available in the Enrollment Services Office.
Aiken Technical College will disclose personally identifiable information (PII) from a student's education records only when the eligible student has provided written consent to the College with the following exceptions:
  1. To school officials who have a legitimate educational interest in the records and have a need to know. A school official is:
    1. A person employed by the College in an administrative, supervisory, academic, or support staff position, including student employees.
    2. A person employed by or under contract to the College to perform a special task, such as the attorney or auditor.
  2. Authorized representatives of the following government entities, if the disclosures is in connection with an audit or evaluation of federal or state supported education programs, or for the enforcement of or compliance with federal legal requirements that relate to those programs:
    • Comptroller General of the U.S.
    • Secretary of Education
    • U.S. Attorney General
    • State and local educational authorities
  3. Agents acting on behalf of the institution (contractors, consultants)
  4. Schools in which the student seeks or intends to enroll.
  5. * A party, such as the Department of Veteran's Affairs or an employer, providing financial aid to the student.
  6. * Organizations conducting studies for or on behalf of educational institutions.
  7. * Accrediting organizations for accrediting purposes.
  8. Appropriate parties if a health or safety emergency exists and the information will assist in resolving the emergency.
  9. * An alleged victim of a crime of violence when the disclosure is the results of a disciplinary hearing regarding the alleged perpetrator of that crime with respect to that crime.
  10. The Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement for purpose of complying with Request Form ICE relative to the institution's participation in SEVIS.
  11. Military recruiters who request "Student Recruiting Information" for recruiting purposes only.
  12. * The Internal Revenue Service, for purposes of complying with the Taxpayer Relief Act of 1997.
  13. Anyone, when the disclosure concerns information provided by sex offenders required to register under state or federal law.
  14. Parents of dependent students.
  15. Parents when their student (under 21) is found to have violated the alcohol or drug policy of the institution.
  16. To comply with judicial order or subpoena, including ex parte orders under the USA Patriot Act.
*Additional conditions may exist. Contact the Enrollment Services Office for additional details.

Students have the right to file a complaint with the U.S. Department of Education concerning alleged failures by the College to comply with the requirements of FERPA.

The name and address of the Office that administers FERPA is:
Family Policy Compliance Office
U.S. Department of Education
400 Maryland Avenue, SW
Washington, DC 20202-5901

Verification of Grades/GPA
A student who needs to verify grades/GPA for automobile insurance, company reimbursement of tuition, or other purposes should contact Enrollment Services.

Enrollment Certification
Enrollment Services certifies a student’s enrollment for previous loans (through the National Student Loan Clearinghouse), parental insurance coverage, Department of Social Services requirements, employment and other purposes. Verification should be available the third week of class. Verification Letters are available through the “Clearinghouse Self Service" link in the ATC Portal. Forms that must be completed by the College will be available at the front desk in the Enrollment Services Center for student pick-up. Forms that are left for one month will be destroyed.

A student who plans to graduate should obtain a graduation application from Enrollment Services. The form must be completed by the student’s academic advisor, signed by the student and submitted to Enrollment Services according to the specified due dates.

Personal Information Changes
The Enrollment Services Center makes an official name change on a student’s records only through a student’s written request to the Enrollment Services Center. Official documentation must accompany the name change form. Official documentation is considered to be one of the following: social security card, marriage license, driver’s license, divorce decree, or court order. Please download the Personal Information Change Form and submit the completed form to the Enrollment Services Center (Room 152). This office also handles requests for residency changes for tuition purposes.

Guest Students

A student already accepted or enrolled at another college may enroll as a transient/guest student at ATC in order to transfer credits back to the primary college.

The guest student should be advised by the primary college concerning recommended courses to be taken at ATC.

An applicant for transient/guest student status must submit an ATC Guest Student application. It is the responsibility of the guest student to request that an ATC transcript be sent to the primary college after completion of ATC courses.

Students will be registered by the Enrollment Services Center and will receive information via email regarding access to their student email account and WebAdvisor. They also are not eligible for financial aid.

©2018 Aiken Technical College, 2276 J. Davis Highway, Graniteville SC 29829

Technical/Community College News