2020 Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Community Celebration
Aiken Technical College and University of South Carolina Aiken will present the 2020 Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Community Celebration on Sunday, January 26 at the USC Aiken Convocation Center, 2049 Champion Way, Aiken, SC. Doors open at 2:30 p.m. with the program starting at 3 p.m.
This event is free and open to the public.
Civil rights historian Bobby Donaldson, Ph.D., who has contributed to several projects and documentaries on the era, will be the keynote speaker for the event. He will speak on the event’s theme, based on a quote by Dr. King: “The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.”
From 2:30 to 3 p.m., there will be a service fair featuring area nonprofit organizations, service agencies and volunteer opportunities.
Participating organizations include:
- Aiken County Branch of the NAACP
- Aiken Senior Life Services
- Area Churches Together Serving
- Brothers and Sisters
- Center for African American History, Art and Culture
- Center for Civil Rights History and Research
- Children's Place
- Concerned Ministers Fellowship
- Cumbee Center to Assist Abused Persons
- Journey of Joy Walking Movement
- Mental Health Association of Aiken County
- Project VISION
- Public Education Partners of Aiken County
- SC Election Commission
- The Aiken Center for Alcohol and Drug Services
- The RECing Crew
- Tri-Development Center
- U.S. Census Bureau-SC Partnership
- United Way of Aiken County, Inc.
During the event, winners of the annual Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. poster and essay contests will be recognized as well as the recipients of the 2020 Human & Civil Rights Student Champion Awards.
Sponsors for this event:
- Title Sponsor: Chandler Law Firm
- Gold Sponsors: Savannah River Nuclear Solutions, Savannah River Remediation, SRP Federal Credit Union
- Silver Sponsors: AECOM, Aiken Electric Cooperative, Aiken Regional Medical Centers, Atlantic Broadband, AT&T, City of Aiken, Mead Hall, Security Federal Bank
- Bronze Sponsors: Aiken Chapter of Links, Inc., Aiken County Branch of the NAACP, Concerned Ministers Fellowship, Kappa Upsilon Chapter of Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc., Ms. Stephanie Franklin, Rural Health Services, WAAW Shout 94.7 FM