- The Accuplacer is a computerized self-paced, untimed test. The test is delivered in a multiple choice format. Most students complete the test within 1.5 to 2 hours. The test is adaptive; the Accuplacer determines which questions will be given next based upon previous answers. This provides a more accurate method of measuring an individual student's skill levels than a general test. It also means that no two tests taken are precisely the same. You are encouraged to give each question as much thought as you wish before selecting your final answer. Your scores will determine which English and math courses you are eligible to take.
- The Accuplacer has three parts:
1. Reading Comprehension: Questions measure reading skills, such as identifying the main idea and making inferences, through the comprehension of short passages.
2. Sentence Skills: Questions measure understanding of sentence structure and grammar.
3. Mathematics: Questions range from Arithmetic, Elementary Algebra to college-level mathematics and measure a range of math skills from basic arithmetic concepts and operations to college-level math concepts. You will begin with one section and, depending on your performance, may advance to another section.
Students are allowed one retake of the Accuplacer test after 48 hours have elapsed.
- After you complete the Accuplacer you will be instructed by the Test Center staff to proceed to the Enrollment Center to make an appointment for advisement.
Aiken Technical College is a certified provider of American College Testing (ACT) Inc. testing and training. Services are available to students and residents of the CSRA. The ATC Test Center is open for testing by appointment only. To schedule an appointment, please email email@example.com or call (803) 508-7488. (Please press option 0 for an appointment.). We are located in our new state-of-the-art facility in Building 700, Room 742.
American College Testing ACT
Helpful Hints for Testing
- Valid photo ID is required for ALL testing. The current (valid) official photo ID must be issued by Aiken Technical College or city/state/federal government (such as driver's license, passport or student ID) on which both your first and last names and photo appear.
- You must leave enough time to complete your test before the Test Center closes. The Test Center closes precisely at the stated time.
- We are unable to accept cash on Saturdays. Please bring a check, money order or credit card for payment.
- Applicants wishing to take the College’s entrance exam (all or portion) must now provide their Student ID number. Please see Enrollment Center staff if you need assistance with determining your Student ID number prior to arriving in the Test Center.
- No personal items or electronic devices are allowed in the testing rooms.
Prohibited personal items include, but are not limited to: purses, backpacks, outerwear (coats, jackets, scarves, hoodies, hats, etc.), firearms, knives, weapons, briefcases, books, reading material, calculator, notebooks, umbrellas, pencils, pens, erasers, watches, and wallets. Keys, without any electronic or photographic component attached, must be stored with the test proctor on-site or remain under the candidates' chairs while testing. Head coverings of any kind are not allowed in the testing room unless it is being worn for religious or cultural purposes. You should let the proctor know at the time of your check-in if this is the case. The religious garment will be visually inspected before you are admitted into the testing room. Unless there is evidence that suggests that you are bringing another prohibited item into the testing room, you will not need to remove the garment for inspection. Once inside the testing room, the head covering MUST remain in full view at all times and may not be removed.
Prohibited electronic devices include, but are not limited to: cell phones, mp3 devices (iPods, etc.), mobile tablets (iPad, etc.), PDA organizers, cameras, recording devices, paging devices, etc.
Possession of these items will result in immediate failure of the test and removal from the Test Center.