Federal Direct Loan
The Federal Direct Loan Program is designed to assist students with their cost of education. Unlike a grant, a loan must be paid back. Aiken Technical College offers a vast number of free aid programs and we encourage students to seek all free aid resources before considering loans.
To qualify for a Direct Loan students must meet the following requirements:
- Meet Title IV Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) standards
- Enroll in at least 6 credit hours
- Enroll in an eligible program
- Not be in default on a federal student loan or in a Title IV overpayment status
New student borrowers must complete the following items to apply for a Federal Direct Loan.
Returning student borrowers must complete the following items to apply for a Direct Stafford Loan:
- Free Application for Federal Student Aid at www.fafsa.gov
- Apply for a loan through financial aid Self-Service
Instructions for Completing the ATC Federal Direct Loan Application Process
- Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Be sure to list ATC’s school code: 010056 on the application.
- Submit all requested documentation to the Financial Aid Office (FAO).
- Once your file is processed, you will receive an e-mail instructing you to view your award letter on the MyATC Portal. Should you be ineligible for any financial aid, you will receive an e-mail informing you of your options.
- Apply for a loan through financial aid Self-Service.
- If you are a first time student borrower must complete a Master Promissory Note (MPN) atwww.StudentLoans.gov. The MPN is a legally binding agreement to repay your loan to the Department of Education. To sign your MPN, you will need your FSA ID. Go to “Manage My Direct Loan” and sign in with your FSA ID. Select “Complete MPN” under “Master Promissory Note” section. Click on “Subsidized/Unsubsidized”, and follow instructions. The MPN is good for 10 years.
- If you are a first time student borrower, you must complete the online entrance loan counseling at www.StudentLoans.gov. Follow the same procedures in #5 to sign in. Select “Complete Entrance Counseling” under “Counseling” section, and follow instructions.
- You will receive an award letter from the Financial Aid Office notifying you of your loan award. You must accept the loan by signing your award letter through financial aid Self-Service for the funds to be available for tuition payment purposes or for purchases in the ATC Bookstore.
- You will receive disbursement information from the Department of Education.
- Loan funds accepted after initial refunds are issued will be disbursed through BankMobile in about two weeks.
Check with the Business Office to see when funds will be available to you. This process can take up to two weeks after the approval of the loan so you are encouraged to apply for a student loan early.
Town & Country Book Loan
Aiken County students that do not have enough financial aid resources to cover their cost of books and supplies can apply for a Town & Country Loan. The maximum loan amount is $300. This is a loan that must be repaid within the semester that it is borrowed. Town & Country Loan Applications are available in the Enrollment Services Center.